[Bf-committers] Syntax Highlighting & Alternate Languages

Lars Krueger lars_e_krueger at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 19:46:47 CEST 2011

> Datum: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:25:23 +1000
> Von: Benjamin Tolputt <btolputt at internode.on.net>
> An: bf-blender developers <bf-committers at blender.org>
> CC: Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net>
> Betreff: Re: [Bf-committers] Syntax Highlighting & Alternate Languages

> I'm pretty sure that putting the parsing code into the Python layer
> would slow the syntax highlighting code quite dramatically and, as such,
> is not likely to get the core team approval (let alone be appreciated by
> the users). I like the idea of that kind of flexibility, but the code is
> currently quite low level & speedy (integer comparisons from a char
> array). The speed hit to jump up to Python (with the string passing,
> Python string comparisons, and return path) is most likely going to rule
> this out almost completely.

How about something like vim does: do the matching in C, but set the parameters (i.e. regex strings) from a scripting language? Speed and flexibility at the same time.

> That said, in terms of the priority request, I'm willing to do the
> low-level code stuff myself. This isn't a request for other developers
> to code something for me, it is a request to pre-check whether it is
> worth putting the code together myself. It is contained in perhaps two
> files, there are no changes to the API required, and it is very close to
> a copy/paste job with alternate means of detecting comments, strings,
> and special strings. The changes are small, there is no performance
> penalty, and the upside is (for people like myself) quite high. If I
> cannot get approval for this - I don't think integrating Python would be
> worth mentioning ;)

While you're at this: How about auto-reloading from external files? Then people can use their external editor and blender automatically gets the changes.
--
Dr. Lars Krueger