[Bf-committers] new dependencies for (spacenav / ndof / 3D mouse) support

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 00:38:28 CEST 2011

Daniel Salazar:
> Mike I managed to get it working! but it's unusable. seems that all
> axis are inverted

Testers seem to be split on this issue, so let me explain and offer a
workaround.The orbit modes are implemented as "target camera" rather
than "object" mode. In other words, you're controlling the viewpoint,
not the thing being viewed. Think of the viewpoint moving with the
knob instead of the object going the wrong way. This is consistent
with the way fly mode works. Shift-F over to that and tell me what you
think. Please also try the 2D navigation (either image/uv or one of
the "flat" quad views) and let me know if those feel wrong to you
also. If after a few days of practice you are still annoyed with the
way it works, we can look for a solution.

A quick alternative is to put something like this into /etc/spnavrc

# blender needs to do its own dead-zone filtering
dead-zone = 0

# any combination of {x,y,z} for each of these:
invert-rot = xy
invert-trans = yz

For general interest, here is what others had to say so far.

Jesper Schwachöfer:
> Rotating and zooming around the object is much better than it used
> to be. And for this turntable style moving, the fit button is perfect,
> setting the rotational center was sometimes really buggy in the old
> version.

Kevin Cozens:
> Up/Down doesn't seem to work. Forward/backward zooms in and out
> as expected. All other axis (left/right, yaw, pitch, roll) are operating
> opposite to expectations. For example, I rotate the knob clockwise
> and object rotates counter-clockwise.

Kyle Goddard:
> No, it does exactly what I expected. Not confused for a second
> about which way it would go when I do *this*. Fly mode is so much
> better with this, I haven't used fly in years because it would zoom
> past where I wanted. I'll have to practice, but yeah the directions
> seem to be right.

The internal testers at 3Dconnexion would have alerted me or Nathan if
anything was seriously wrong with this implementation. They have
brought up other things, but not this, so they *are* paying attention.
The issue can be solved with some combination of practice and user
settings. I tend to lean toward practice + good behavior with default
settings.

Please continue to send any feedback this way!

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire