[Bf-committers] Blender Foundation - softwarefreedom.org

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jul 24 14:04:30 CEST 2011

Hi devs,

Blender Foundation has signed up an agreement with The Software
Freedom Law Center, so they can officially help or advice us for any
future cases when legalities might arise.

This is also related to my investigation of developer agreements. I'm
reviewing the Harmony Agreements project and discuss with them what it
would possibly benefit Blender.
http://harmonyagreements.org/overview.html

You probably know I'm a very relaxed and non-paranoid person. I don't
think we're being at much risk, nor am I afraid for lawyers ever, nor
do I like it much to force our contributors to give up the rather
informal freedom here and make them sign complex agreements.

On the other hand, it's the Foundation's responsibility to ensure
Blender developers can safely and happily work, and to ensure Blender
itself and its future is protected in the best way possible. With
Blender becoming a more relevant alternative for commercial products,
it's only a matter of time for some zealot to try out how to harm our
project legally.

Here's some tips I've learned sofar for developers to avoid;

- Be careful with referring to commercial products. All of these
typically have EULAs that forbid to investigate the products for any
other reason than to use them.

- If you refer to products or technology, ensure it's public and free
info. Include the links to such docs or web pages.

- Always document your progress and designs and publish it in the
earliest possible stage.

- Don't mention (nor do) investigation of public patent databases
ever, unless you already evidently knew it had to be done.

- If you're in doubt whether your work might get risky industry
attention, arrange with me to have it published and committed under
"BF copyright". Even though that won't waive your liability from
flagrant violations, it'll at least makes the BF position more clear
in a future.

- If you ever get contacted by a company or laywers firm about patents
or IP issues, contact me individually immediate, and I'll hook you up
with softwarefreedom.org. :)

Thanks!

-Ton-