[Bf-committers] Blender on the Mac App Store

J. stargeizer at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 15:00:51 CEST 2011

>>They use at least bash, wget and gcc. Lets tell GNU so they can sue them! :)

Apple complies publishing the modified source code of these applications indenpendently, but not xcode wich is propietary.
Also apple is sponsoring BSD licensed replacements for all GPL applications used and in use currently, the most notory being LLVM and CLANG,
so they are trying to get rid of all GPL code from OSX.

>>I've got another idea (then I stop spamming here):
>>Would it comply to App Store rules if one would write a native OS X application (conforming to HIG
>>and BSD licensed) that is a "Blender Downloader" or "Blender Installer" or "Blender Manager". This
>>would not include blender, but would download and install blender. It would also provide a menu with
>>options like "put blender into dock" and "associate .blend files with blender" etc. Maybe it could
>>let you manage multiple blender installation. E.g. blender 2.49, blender 2.5x and a list of the
>>latest GraphicAll builds.

From the Mac App Store Terms and Conditions:

"Apps that download other standalone apps will be rejected. Apps that
install kexts (kernel extensions) will be rejected. Apps that require
license keys or implement their own copy protection will be rejected.
Apps that present a license screen at launch will be rejected. Apps may
not use update mechanisms outside of the App Store."

So will be rejected on the spot.

>>If I would use OS X I would write such a software just to see whether Apple rejects it.

They will.
Anyways let stop polluting the mailing list about this. I think the forums of BA are the best place to discuss such things, and better, READ the terms and conditions imposed by Apple. All answers are there in plain english and very little legalesse to deal with.

Regards

J.