[Bf-committers] Blender on the Mac App Store

Alexandr Kuznetsov kuzsasha at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 22:48:13 CEST 2011

I don't understand the purpose of Mac App Store. You can simply download
.zip from the web and drag it on desktop. What can be simpler?  On the other
hand you need to get in iOS App Store to be on iPhone. There absolutely no
reason why we must or want to be in Mac App Store. Mac App Store probably
inherited long and tedieous review proccess. And even if Blender can pass
it, there will be literally weeks of delay before updates. Look at Ubuntu
Software Center. Blender is 2.49 there.
Moreover, downloading from website, gives the feel of community. Users can
discover wiki, video tutorials, gallery, forums which are undoubtedly major
sources of learning and inspiration. Differently, App Store gives a feel of
no community and no development engagement. Granted, Blender can easily be
in top 20, but user base will be very pretty random. Many will complain why
Blender doesn't do X and does Y differently. Most of those users will
uninstall faster then they feel the potential and never try it again.

Alex K