[Bf-committers] Blender on the Mac App Store

jonathan d p ferguson jdpf.plus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 18:01:23 CEST 2011

hi.

As far as I know, the GPL is *incompatible* with the terms of the Apple App Store. VLC was pulled because the GPL is incompatible with Apple's terms [1]. It is Apple who needs to liberalize their terms, not the FOSS developers. We must all respect the terms of the GPL, and encourage Apple to be more liberal with their terms.

Given that Apple's Lion Operating System will be deployed through the App Store only, and given that Lion includes a substantial amount of GPL software, perhaps these changes are already afoot. Perhaps not.

Thanks.

have a day.yad
jdpf

[1] http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/01/vlc-for-ios-vanishes-2-months-after-eruption-of-gpl-dispute.ars