[Bf-committers] The dilation I am seeing in Blender is imo not good. I thought I'd propose an alternative (if there's support)?

Morten Mikkelsen mikkelsen7 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:13:40 CEST 2011

The dilation I am seeing in Blender is imo not good. I thought I'd propose
an alternative (if there's support)?

Here's a close-up of the dilation blender does -->
http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/bakezoom_BI_dial.png
Here's a close-up of the dilation I was able to do outside of blender using
diff. code --> http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/bakezoom_other_dial.png

The bumped visual you get using the first one is this (ugly filtering scar)
--> http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/scr_BI_dial.png
The visual you get using the other method is this (significantly more
subtle) --> http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/scr_other_dial.png

The blend file to produce the texture is up there -->
http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/bmake.blend

This is the full-res baked result you get with dilation using blender -->
http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/bake_BI.png
and this is using the alternative dilation -->
http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/bake_other_dial.png

I dumped everything here http://jbit.net/~sparky/blender_dial/ incl. a
blender file.

Let me know what you think.