[Bf-committers] Can we please stop breaking APIs?

Jim Williams sphere1952 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 15:38:02 CEST 2011

The change being complained about below is clearly to fit someone's
notion of elegance, not functionality.  As such, it wasn't a necessary
change....and in my option it wasn't even a good change.

If you don't supply a predictable API people will look elsewhere.  It might
take time before some other project takes the lead, but it will happen.

It would help your API a whole lot if the documentation was written before
the code.  APIs need to conform to a contract to be useful.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Mitchell Stokes <mogurijin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello devs,
>
> I thought the 2.5 Python API was supposed to be considered "stable",
> but lo and behold, a recent commit once again broke my scripts. The
> commit in question changes BGL.Buffer.list to BGL.Buffer.to_list()
> [1]. Bgui[2] makes use of BGL and is now broken. Furthermore, if I fix
> Bgui to work with Blender trunk and I release a version of Bgui before
> Blender 2.59 (which is possible), then Bgui would have a requirement
> of needing an "in development" version of Blender. If we're going to
> be changing APIs, can we at least keep old things around as
> "deprecated" for a release or two?
>
> [1] http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2011-July/037581.html
> [2] https://code.google.com/p/bgui/
>
> Thank you,
> Mitchell Stokes

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.