[Bf-committers] Is alpha within Blender totally broken?

Mats Holmberg mats.holmberg at 2me.fi
Sun Jul 17 12:30:09 CEST 2011

You are on the right tracks, Troy. The alpha issue is something we've been pondering about at Studio Lumikuu also. If you composite within Blender there really are no issues, but, in my case, using After Effects gives very weird results.

I've always used premultiplied png -files before, as nothing else ever seemed to work, but from feedback I understood that this is plain wrong (the results were fine though, which tells me that Blender does it wrong). Anyways, I'm not able to look into this at the moment and produce any examples - I could check and report my results tomorrow. But just to let you know, I agree completely that there is something _seriously_ wrong about how Blender handles alpha channels.

Cheers,
-mats