[Bf-committers] Fwd: knifeless.blend animation

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 17 12:11:50 CEST 2011

Hi all :)

I’ve started working a bit on knife tool last days (reading code,
playing a bit with it…), so here’s now my proposition about that tool:

*Current state*
Right now, you start it by hitting K and drawing (while K still pressed)
a lasso gesture (modal part). When lasso is validated, knife cut is done
(and modal part is finished).

So basically, it works nice and smooth – there are just:
— Some UI tweaks to be done in its panel (to hide “internal” properties
like cursor or gesture curve, really easy to do).
— Corner-cut pattern to re-enable (works fine for me, so again this is
not a problem).

*How it should work IMHO*
I’d like to have knife behaving somewhat like transform tools, i.e. hit
K enters modal, then you can switch options through a modal keymap, if
you need it, and then draw your cut (either lasso with LMB, or
straightline with MMB), and cut is done on gesture validating, like
currently.

IMHO, this would increase usability of the tool (esp. when you have many
cuts to do, if the default settings are not good for you, having to use
the UI to set them each time after the cut is painful).

I’ve been playing with this idea, but I have problems, in that gestures
are designed as “whole” modal funcs (they add a modal handler, have
their own keymap [well, lasso/lines have none, btw], etc.). And it seems
quite difficult to have a modal over (or inside) another modal… So I
guess I’d have to find a way to have gestures without their “modal” part
of code…

In fact, if we want to have back things like snap to vertices, I might
as well handle the whole gesture stuff inside knife cut code – which
means  I’d need acces to some lower-level gesture funcs…

Anyway, I’d like to have your feelings about that proposed workflow
first! :D

Bastien

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr Thu Jul 14 15:35:51 CEST 2011