[Bf-committers] Can we please stop breaking APIs?

Mitchell Stokes mogurijin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 05:41:37 CEST 2011

Hello devs,

I thought the 2.5 Python API was supposed to be considered "stable",
but lo and behold, a recent commit once again broke my scripts. The
commit in question changes BGL.Buffer.list to BGL.Buffer.to_list()
[1]. Bgui[2] makes use of BGL and is now broken. Furthermore, if I fix
Bgui to work with Blender trunk and I release a version of Bgui before
Blender 2.59 (which is possible), then Bgui would have a requirement
of needing an "in development" version of Blender. If we're going to
be changing APIs, can we at least keep old things around as
"deprecated" for a release or two?

[1] http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2011-July/037581.html
[2] https://code.google.com/p/bgui/

Thank you,