[Bf-committers] Collada import support

Peter Amstutz tetron at interreality.org
Fri Jul 1 23:21:52 CEST 2011

Hi Mike,

You are right, the exporter from 3DS Max may be partly at fault here.
One issue we ran in to was that the character needed to be in "figure
mode" (rest pose) to export correctly otherwise the deformations are
baked in and that causes all sorts of trouble.

Using the OpenCOLLADA exporter for Max to export a couple of our
characters and then import into Blender:

 1) The first character is a single mesh with armature.  This geometry
imported correctly and the armature imported mostly correctly.  I did
not think to try and pose the character to see if the bone weights
transferred correctly, I will try that later.  It also allegedly
imported animation keyframes, but on closer inspection it consisted of a
single track that does nothing called "Dummy01".

 2) The second character consists of multiple meshes attached the same
armature.  Blender imports the geometry mostly correctly, but strangely
I end up with three separate armatures consisting of the pelvis on down
(the legs), and armatures for the left and right forearm and hand.  The
spine and head bones don't appear at all.  No animation tracks appear.

In addition to the vertex weights I will check if UVs imported correctly
in both cases.

The file produced by the Autodesk COLLADA export crashes both Meshlab
and GLC.  Blender failed to load it complaining about not finding the
image paths.

This is with the 2.58 release.  I have also checked out and compiled the
Pepper branch and will test it later.

- Peter