[Bf-committers] Proposing to remove ATI hack in the BGE's Display List rasterizer

Mitchell Stokes mogurijin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 22:32:40 CEST 2011

Hello devs,

In the BGE's Display List rasterizer, there is a check to see if the
user is using an ATI card. If the user is, the rasterizer falls back
to immediate mode instead of using vertex arrays to build the display
lists. While it doesn't seem to matter much for performance either
way, I would rather not have vendor specific checks like this (unless
maybe for optimizations). I'm guessing this was done due to a driver
issue since users are not reporting any problems with the check
disabled[0] (I don't have an ATI card to test personally). I also have
a patch that shows the check[1]. So, is it okay to remove this
check/hack?

Cheers,
Mitchell

[0] http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?223214-Dev-Checking-Display-List-and-Vertex-Array-Support-on-ATI-cards-%28need-testers%29