[Bf-committers] splitting (off) hair

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 1 09:54:36 CEST 2011

I'm sorry people, i have given up on hair systems :(
My primary intention was to get the hair code out of the way of
particle development, so i can finish paged buffer implementation and
then continue working on nodes. As it turns out, separating hair code
from particle code is just as much work, if not more, than writing it
from scratch. After all i'm a volunteer like most other coders here,
so as long as nobody pays me for this, i'm not going to waste my time
on it.

This means that hair will be either broken or completely missing from
paged particles. Whether or not the new dynamic buffers will make it
into trunk will therefore depend on

a) dropping hair support officially (unlikely)
b) finding somebody to voluntarily "fix" the hair systems (i.e. make
it work somehow) or code a new hair system (the latter would be much
preferred, but takes time)
c) raising enough money to get b) done

Again, i'm sorry, but it looks like you will have to live with crappy
particles - or use my branch and accept that there is no (more or
less) working hair system.