[Bf-committers] Big bug in bone edit mode

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 23:44:39 CET 2011

Am 31.01.2011 23:29, schrieb Dan Eicher:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Tobias Oelgarte
> <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> As i was build a rig i noticed that my bones where off position. I fixed
>> it and after some time they where off again. Nothing unusual you would
>> say. But this happens when you switch between edit and posemode. The
>> current pose affects the bone locations in edit mode, surely destroying
>> your rig after some time.
>>
>> I posted a more complete explanation (with pictures and example file) at
>> blenderartist.org so you can have a look at it.
>>
>> * http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208460
>>
>> Greetings from
>> Tobias Oelgarte
>>
> This is a known (and quite annoying) issue, stems from the calculation
> of the bone roll angles and float rounding (im)precision.
>
> And, yes, it does destroy rigs...
>
> Dan

Isn't it possible to use either a copy for the bones original positions
in edit mode or in pose/object mode? At least the locale editmode (it's
bone locations and roll) should always be unaffected, no matter what you
do with anything else (constraints, keys, ...). Otherwise it ends up
with destroyed rigs. You started with the foot, worked at the hand,
finished the head and then you notice that the foots are messed up and
the hand does what she wants, but can't grab a stick anymore. This is
really anoying, especially if you put in a lot of work for a fine tuned rig.

I really don't know if i can use blender for my next tasks, if this get
not fixed. I will invest a lot of time only seeing that anything falls
slowly apart. It's like using a sheet of paper. After u used the rubber
10 times you have to start from the begining using a new sheet. (pun on
switching between edit and pose mode) That can't be the intention.

Tobias Oelgarte