[Bf-committers] Vortex particle sim/set up

raulf at info.upr.edu.cu raulf at info.upr.edu.cu
Wed Jan 26 16:41:45 CET 2011

Hi guys!

well, in past days my email server was down so this message is kind of
late ;)

anyway, here it goes:

Recently an Intel developer has written a series of articles about
realtime vortex simulation for games. The demo
(http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/fluid-simulation-for-video-games-part-1/)
is spectacular and best of all runs in realtime. Sadly the algorithm is
not open source and I wanted something similar in Blender
 so you know the
end, don’t you ;) ?

I end up taking a different approach with similar results and I’m very
pleased! my approach require more complex set up but more advanced user
control and best of all is completely Lagrangian, I mean completely
boundless , whether the Intel approach is a hybrid algorithm
lagrangian/eulerian (lattice-particle method).

I took advantage of the fact that the current Blender particle system is a
second order simulation system , where particles act as  source of force
field, and the current vortex particle field has the rotational vector
very limited and locked to the particle velocity direction
. well, I have
made a simple patch (http://www.pasteall.org/18508/diff) to allow more
user control and watch yourself!

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/spin-my-particles/