[Bf-committers] Confusing Render, File Format and Encoding presets

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Sun Jan 23 19:07:03 CET 2011

On 14 January 2011 15:13, Damir Prebeg <blend.factory at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any special reason why actual frame rate is calculated from
> framerate and framerate base and not simply one float value for
> framerate (eg. FPS: 23.976 instead of FPS:24 and Base:1.001)?

This is important in that NTSC-derived framerates really are properly
described by a fraction. Using a float representation like 23,976 will
result in noticeable sync errors over the length of a feature film.

Which is not to say the ui couldn't be better!

> I propose that Output dropdown list (regarding video file types)
> should contain only real file format extensions like mpg, avi, mkv,
> ogg, flv etc. and, of course, frame server option.

I've wondered about the encoding workflow more generally. For example,
one generally gets better results for distribution using two-pass
encoding, and it's not uncommon to want to produce several different
profiles of the same render. So in practice I always just render to
png and encode with separate scripts. It would be nice if there was a
way for blender to do all this. Perhaps some kind of output stage on
the sequencer?

 -r