[Bf-committers] Removing auto registration

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 22:55:19 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Martin Poirier <theeth at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 1/22/11, Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
>
>> I don't really see the order problem as a problem we have
>> to solve. If
>> you're registering multiple things, then it seems logical
>> to me that
>> if A references B, you register B first and then A. It's
>> not clear to
>> me where these potential complex rules would show up?
>
> I don't think it's terribly complex either. The fixed type order I propose on the wiki page seems like it should work (quite easy with automatic register and simply enough to define for manual). Campbell supposedly has all kinds of wild cases under hands that fail automatic register, so that's why he was supposed to look into it and come back with definite cases of failure.
>
> Martin

I don't know the ins and outs of this code but is really looks like
someone needs to write up some test cases and do some verification and
validation of the registration. If the code passes all the wild cases'
tests then we say it is good. This looks like a huge trap for the end
programmers and it should not be. If the system does not end up being
simple, you guys will end up spending the next few years answering the
same questions over and over again.

As was pointed out, this is the 'new' blender and it should have a
stable api by the time it releases, so now is the time to make
changes, if they need to be made. Forcing people to rewrite scrips now
is much better than making them do it next year when everyone thought
the new system was stable and they have forgotten how to work with the
new system because they thought they had all the rewrites done a long
time ago. Do what needs do be done now and get it over with.
Best,

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!