[Bf-committers] Proposal: Blender OpenCL compositor

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Sat Jan 22 08:50:03 CET 2011

On 01/21/2011 04:14 PM, Aurel W. wrote:
> You are talking about things such as convolution with a defined kernel
> size. There are other operations and a compositor truly transforms an
> image to another image and not pixels to pixels etc. If it's
> implemented in such a naive way, the compositor will be very limited.
> I got a very bad feeling about this....
>
> Ok, let's normalize an image with a tile based approach,... uh damn it....
Aurel, don't worry on that. Tile based is that the output is part of a
tile. But the input data can be the whole or a part of the image. On the
technical side there will be some issues to overcome (mostly device
memory related). Btw there are possibilities when you need every image
pixel as input to use a intermediate to reduce memory need. I did this
already in the defocus node.

Please help me to determine the case when a whole output image is
needed. IMO input is readonly and output is writeonly. I don't see the
need atm to support whole output images in a 'per output pixel'
approach. And every 'per input pixel' approach can be written by a 'per
output pixel' approach. In the current nodes the two approaches are mixed.

Jeroen