[Bf-committers] FLT_MAX and INT_MAX in UI

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 02:06:30 CET 2011

How about replace FLT_MAX and INT_MAX with less extreme defines in our
rna_*.c files and operators (as suggested) but still have python/rna
to use the full range as default.

Id prefer not to enforce the limited range for RNA defined by python
by default since then it makes using all 32bits for an int flag break
in a non-obvious way.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Doug Hammond
<doughammond at hamsterfight.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please also bear in mind addons that have peoperties for external
> applications which may require values of a larger range than normally needed
> inside Blender.
>
> Any reason why ints can't be the full 32bit ?
>
> Cheers,
> Doug.
>

> On 21 January 2011 17:38, Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
>> > I'd suggest to replace these 'hard' min/max values with less extreme
>> > numbers, so you can still use it in C code and get some predictable
>> > output.
>> >
>> > FLT_MAX now is 3.40282347e+38F
>> > Our hardmax  can easily stick to 1.0e+9 i guess? (a billion)
>> >
>> > For ints, a max of 1<<26 or so... 67 million, with 24 fps, that would
>> > last 5 years :)
>>
>> Yes, makes sense. It's a bit arbitrary, but 1e9 seems low, maybe make it
>> 1e15?
>>
>> Brecht.

- Campbell