[Bf-committers] Proposal: Blender OpenCL compositor

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Jan 21 22:21:42 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> Automatic data conversion between nodes. What I'm not sure about is
> the different color data types (RGBA, HSVA, YUVA, ..). This would no
> be exposed to the user, all they would know is that it's a Color,
> right? Is it really necessary to have these as core data types, can't
> the nodes do such conversions if they want to?

I don't think it's necessary at all, either - most nodes will be fine
working in RGB, and that should be the standard. If nodes need to do
anything funky internally they can convert themselves (sure there can
be nice standardised library functions for that).

Besides, I think quite the opposite - I'd say there should be less or
no distinction between 'types'. Eg. no 'single channel float type', no
'rgba type', no 'vector type'. They're just named non-interleaved
channels side by side in a list/array. As in Nuke/fusion/etc, nodes
can pick out the data they need to work with based on name/id, or
based on what users have overridden (shuffle functionality per-node).

Matt