[Bf-committers] Makefile support

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 20:51:33 CET 2011

To link against non-system libraries you can do this in 2 ways...
First you can toggle advanced options in ccmake/cmake-gui and set the
paths for each lib, just to ensure you can get a working build.

After that it could be supported in CMake out of the box as APPLE is supported.

./CMakeLists.txt:679 -- elseif(APPLE)

You could add an "elseif(CMAKE_SYSTEM MATCHES IRIX)"
Then set the library paths there just as OSX does.

The nice thing about our cmake files is they work with Linux and BSD
without any special configuration, and should do for other Unix
variants too but if you don't have required depds installed on the
system and want to force library paths you'll need to do this.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Stefan Gartner <stefang at aon.at> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 19:51 +0100, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I already gave up on Makefiles for OSX a month ago or so... it was
> > giving me inpredictable instable builds, and trying to figure out why
> > I gave up after a day.
>
> On OS X the Makefiles have troubles finding the right (external)
> libraries in lib/ and the proper compiler/linker flags, maybe that's
> what's causing the instabilities. I've been experimenting a bit with a
> fix for that and didn't notice any problems.
>

> > It seems to me it's still used by a couple of people here. I'd like to
> > know if there's - apart from personal taste - there's important
> > reasons to keep supporting it? The system is close to collapse under
> > its own weight, seems to me. :)
> >
> > Let me confirm that switching to CMake was painless and quick and it
> > builds faster than ever. I'm not totally happy with the noisy colorful
> > prints of cmake, but I'm quite sure that's a matter of time to get
> > solved too.
> >
> > Obviously; if we remove makefiles from svn, it'll allow "in source"
> > builds for cmake.
> >

> I've tried using cmake on Irix briefly and it failed building, I guess
> this was because it was trying to link against the system libraries
> instead of the much more recent libs from svn. If that can be fixed or
> configured easily, I wouldn't mind switching to cmake, especially as
> this would allow doing parallel builds.
>
> greetings,
> stefan

- Campbell