[Bf-committers] Makefile support

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Wed Jan 19 00:29:04 CET 2011

Hi,
ton at blender.org (2011-01-16 at 1951.57 +0100):
> I already gave up on Makefiles for OSX a month ago or so... it was
> giving me inpredictable instable builds, and trying to figure out why
> I gave up after a day.

When new functions are added or old dropped, it does not detect all
the dependencies and you have to do a full build, instead of a quicky
one. Or so it seems.

> It seems to me it's still used by a couple of people here. I'd like to
> know if there's - apart from personal taste - there's important
> reasons to keep supporting it? The system is close to collapse under
> its own weight, seems to me. :)

Here it keeps going. I would ask people in Irix or similar, if they
really need it or we can move to cmake. It could also mean dropping
scons and just get one single build system, finally.

> Let me confirm that switching to CMake was painless and quick and it
> builds faster than ever. I'm not totally happy with the noisy colorful
> prints of cmake, but I'm quite sure that's a matter of time to get
> solved too.

You can disable colour, even if by just tricking it into a pipe like
"| grep --line-buffered ''" or with the right parameter/option. OTOH,
if you want to use "| less -R" you lose colours without option to keep
them (the -R would show them). Nevermind cmake colours are mostly per
line, instead of useful syntax highlighting (important words, not full
blocks of the same colour). It even lies and adds useless lines (now
that we are talking about its output), saying it has built something
when in reality it did not because the targets was up to date.

> Obviously; if we remove makefiles from svn, it'll allow "in source"
> builds for cmake.

cmake documentation recommends against that, some things depend on out
of tree builds, maybe Blender does not use them now, but could and
then you have to go back to out of source. Better not depend on
it. Anyway, commiting the result would not work (full paths are not
portable), and out of tree has other adventages, like tools not
wasting time with meaningless files or being able to clean "for sure".

GSR