[Bf-committers] Removing auto registration

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 08:57:38 CET 2011

Agree panel order shouldn't be a factor in this discussion, it should
be solved irrespective of registration so addons panels can be added
in a logical order.

Though I'm still for auto-registration removal even if its bug free,
most likely re-iterating from previous mails.

- to me it feels mysterious that blender is operating on classes
without being asked & errors don't trace back to authors code.
- in simple cases where all classes are registered its not a big win
to have it automatic, in complicated cases of dynamic runtime
registration this gets in the way.
- it makes internals more complicated we need to support - 3 cases:
direct execution, modules and addons.
- Matt Ebb and Nathan Vegdahl have complained about auto-registration
in its current state fir renderman support which does dynamic
generated classes from shaders, and rigify for rig types.

It is regrettable that I accepted this patch in the first place, but I
felt some obligation to do so since Martin addressed the issues that
concerned me, also because Brecht and Andria also approved of this
functionality at the time.

- Campbell