[Bf-committers] Makefile support

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jan 16 19:51:57 CET 2011

Hi all,

I already gave up on Makefiles for OSX a month ago or so... it was
giving me inpredictable instable builds, and trying to figure out why
I gave up after a day.

It seems to me it's still used by a couple of people here. I'd like to
know if there's - apart from personal taste - there's important
reasons to keep supporting it? The system is close to collapse under
its own weight, seems to me. :)

Let me confirm that switching to CMake was painless and quick and it
builds faster than ever. I'm not totally happy with the noisy colorful
prints of cmake, but I'm quite sure that's a matter of time to get
solved too.

Obviously; if we remove makefiles from svn, it'll allow "in source"
builds for cmake.

-Ton-