[Bf-committers] Proposal: Blender OpenCL compositor

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat Jan 15 08:19:12 CET 2011

Thanks, Jeroen.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Jeroen Bakker <j.bakker at atmind.nl> wrote:
Farms
> are already being migrated to OpenCL farms. As they are cheaper in
> hardware costs.
>
> BTW. renderfarm.fi should be capable of running OpenCL as this is
> proposal is implemented!

While I can believe that there will be dedicated online farms set up
for this sort of thing I was more referring to farms in animation
studios, most of which are not designed around GPU power - now, and
nor probably for a while in the future. Even imagining if in the
future blender uses openCL heavily, if a studio has not designed a
farm specifically for blender (which is quite rare), CPU performance
will continue to be very important. I'm curious how openCL translates
to CPU multiprocessing performance, especially in comparison with
using something like blender's existing pthread wrapper.

cheers,

Matt