[Bf-committers] Proposal: Blender OpenCL compositor

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Jan 13 22:49:32 CET 2011

Also, not knowing that much about OpenCL so far, I'm a bit curious -
do differences in openCL drivers also cause inconsistency problems
with output, like previous GPU computing methods have? Will this work
also improve CPU multiprocessing efficiency to the same degree as
would happen with a system designed for it - perhaps using blender's
existing threading library?

While some of the GPU based stuff nowadays looks very spectacular, I
personally still feel hesitant - I don't think CPUs (and especially
multiprocessing) should be left by the wayside. Not only due to the
increasing prevalence of multicore systems nowadays, but also for
render farms, which are very largely CPU based.

cheers

Matt