[Bf-committers] Proposal: Blender OpenCL compositor

François T. francoistarlier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:20:12 CET 2011

Hi,

I do think having openCL support is very cool for some nodes as I also
believe it should be build on strong foundation. And as we discussed at
several point, Blender Compositor structure is getting a bit old (Matt did
mention some of the low level issues here :
http://www.francois-tarlier.com/blog/blender-vfx-wish-list-features/)
All I'm saying is should so much effort should be put into it right now,
while some lower issue are still there to change. Or does that won't change
anything ?
Yes OpenCL will accelerate the compositor as it is, but isn't it a false
solution to a bigger problem ? if so, no matter what openCL will always make
it faster, I'm just afraid this will be taken as a solution solver to the
slow side of the compositor (which IMO it is not)
As a user I would prefer better performance, rather than faster (which
doesn't have to be the same thing).

Anyhow since I don't know much about it, it is just a reflexion.

thx