[Bf-committers] building blender with clang, scan-build

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 06:48:54 CET 2011

Build time is slower for clang though it does compile with debug
options on by default.

Doing really good benchmarks takes time since we don't have an
automated testing utility so I just tried some of the test scenes in
svn.
Most of the tests rendered too fast to give useful, measurable times
so tested motor9.blend, at 400%, 16 OSA, 8x8 tiles.

both rendered  in around ~28.9sec

This is an improvement on my tests last year when CLang was ~5-10 % slower.

details...
both blenders built with CMake, Release build.
LLVM/CLang, recent svn r123195
gcc version 4.5.2
cpu: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
linux: 2.6.37-ARCH

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Xavier Thomas
<xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The report for each issue is very clean and easy to understand, i am impressed.
>
> Regarding compilation of Blender specifically did you observed any improvement?
> -build time
> -binary performances
>
> Xavier
>
> 2011/1/7 Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>:
>> Building blender with clang's scan-build gives useful reports/warnings
>> which typical compilers wont report.
>> of course it has a lot of false positives or warnings which wouldn't
>> result in actual bugs but its it also shows up real bugs, some of
>> which would be hard to track otherwise.
>>
>> Heres the output from scan-build as html (r34117):
>>  http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/2011-01-07-2/
>>
>> I wrote up a wiki page on how to build llvm+clang and use with blender.
>>  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/BlenderClang
>>
>> --
>> - Campbell

- Campbell