[Bf-committers] Proposal: Blender OpenCL compositor

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Wed Jan 12 19:07:52 CET 2011

Hi all,

The last few months I have worked hard on a the proposal of the OpenCL
based compositor. Currently the proposal is ready that it is clear how
the solution should work and what the impact is. As the proposal is on
the technical level the end-user won't feel a difference, except for a
fast tile based compositor system. In functionality it should be the same.

There are 2 aspects that will be solved:
  * Tiled based compositing
  * OpenCL compositing

To implement these I will introduce additional components:
  * Tiled based memory manager
  * Node (pre-)compiler
  * Configurable automatically data conversion for compositor node systems
  * OpenCL driver manager
  * OpenCL configuration screen
  * Some debug information:
    * OpenCL program, performance etc.
    * Execution tree (including data types, resolution and kernelgrouping)
    * Visualizing tiles needed for calculation of an area.

And introduce several new data types
  * Kernels and KernelGroup
  * Camera data type
  * Various color data types

I have put all the documents on a project-website for review. As the
proposal is quite long and complex. (all decisions are connected with
each other.)
Please use bf-committers or #blendercoders to discuss the proposal also
if something is not clear.

http://ocl.atmind.nl/doku.php?id=design:proposal:compositor-redesign

Cheers,
Jeroen Bakker