[Bf-committers] Decimation / Surface Simplifier...

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:43:32 CET 2011

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'll leave the one ASM algorithm in the code but simply #ifdef it out for
now. Is that reasonable?

On the topic of quad remeshing, it does already support different topologies
for input. In the screenshots all the meshes came out triangles, but Jae did
end up making it work for quads, as well as BMesh ngons. She discussed this
with Joe (I think...) a while back and has a very flexible system for both
inputs and outputs.

Additionally, in one of the algorithms, which she was just finishing up when
she was hurt, the user can specify a particular output topology, no matter
what the input is. I'm still pouring over the code to get all the specifics
worked out, but that one does not reduce the input mesh by iterative edge
collapses. Instead (again, one of the 4 different algos) it creates a "ball"
of very small size somewhere near the mesh containing exactly the
user-specified number of output faces, constructed of the correct topology
to start with, and it appears to use some form of fluid dynamics
calculations to "expand" the little ball until it optimally rests fitting
the shape of the input mesh. She made it work like that so the input and
output topologies were decoupled and it opens a whole word of possibilities.
Or so it seems...

Hoping to have more to show by early next week. I'll be going over to
hospital for several hours each night this week to discuss this at length
with Jae so I can get a better understanding of how it all works. Hoping to
have a demo or something worthy of showing soon.

As for BGE, I'll try my best to get in touch with you moguri :)

Thanks!
Peter