[Bf-committers] Decimation / Surface Simplifier...

pete larabell xgl.asyliax at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 22:30:52 CET 2011

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I officially picked up Jaevixa McNomera's code base for the
high quality (and ridiculously fast) surface simplifier she was making for
Blender before she was incapacitated.

If it helps to remind anyone interested, here were some shots she took back
when she was working on it.

> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1077
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1078
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1079
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1080
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1081
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1082
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1083
> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/1084

Thus far I have it working in Blender but with some definite bugs and some
areas where the code is quite.... ummm... complex and without documentation.
:)

Anyway, my questions to the developer community are this:

Is it ever acceptable to have parts written in assembly?
 -- note: Jae has 4 different algorithms implemented currently, one of which
uses quite a bit of ASM.

Is it worth trying to port this to OpenCL???

Are there any BGE devs I could talk to about how that end of a LOD modifier
would work?? (I know nothing about BGE)

Thanks,
Peter