[Bf-committers] Fwd: Copyright violation distributing faac binaries together with GPL software

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Fri Jan 7 14:34:08 CET 2011

A bit of history..

Between April 2008 and March 2009 I was the maintainer for the FFmpeg
Windows DLL. I've provided the DLL from Blender releases 2.46 up to 2.49
RC. It was necessary to do a custom build because of some patches that
were needed for Blender and not yet included in the official FFmpeg
repository. During this period, I included libfaac without knowing that
it would create a license conflict of course. Here is the configure
command that I used:

./configure --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-memalign-hack
--extra-ldflags=-L/shared/lib --extra-cflags=-I/shared/include
--enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libx264
--enable-gpl --enable-libxvid --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver
--enable-zlib

After that, the patches were finally accepted by FFmpeg development team
and we started to use the automatic build provided by
http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org
My custom build was probably used for some 2.49 RC releases but
certainly not for the official 2.49b

Is it possible that Carl stumbled on an old or mixed-up package? My
build was based on FFmpeg revision 17993.

/benoit