[Bf-committers] Fwd: Copyright violation distributing faac binaries together with GPL software

Leo Sutic leo.sutic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 01:50:10 CET 2011

Carl and everyone else,

I've done some checking of the FFmpeg integration in Blender 2.49b.

I came up with the following:

I can confirm that the default configuration for compiling FFmpeg into
Blender has --enable-gpl set and no --enable-nonfree. So it *ought* to
be all right.

It is linked against libfaad, but I find no trace of libfaac in the dll.
For example, the string "faac: codec init failed" is in the dll, but
that's from libfaad (libfaad.c), which does not link to libfaac, as far
as I know. In libfaac.c, the FFmpeg interface to libfaac, are the
strings "wrong libfaac version" and  "libfaac AAC (Advanced Audio
Codec)", neither of which can be found in avcodec-52.dll. Unless these
strings are stored somewhere else, shouldn't they be present if
libfaac.o is linked in?

I am really unfamiliar with the FFmpeg codebase, so I don't know what
the significance of the above is. Carl, could you give me some guidance
as to what to look for to confirm the existence / absence of libfaac
code in the dll? Basically, what did you see?

/LS