[Bf-committers] Blender Startup Time

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Sun Feb 27 06:47:32 CET 2011

Hi,
theeth at yahoo.com (2011-02-26 at 1956.16 -0800):
> It's slightly different then a normal splash screen though. It only
> shows up when opening the default file only (so not when loading an
> existing file on startup) and it links to recent files, so it's
> arguable that it probably speeds up the workflow in common cases.

Yeah, I know, you could call it "in app splash" as it is included in
the window after the main one appear, not a separate one before. The
point about duplication still holds, but I guess people just get used
to many things when pushed into them (it would be nice to know how
many launch Help/Splash to get recent files). I always launch with a
file or the config file (all files are loaded but last one stays so
alias blender="blender ~/.blender/startup.blend" does the magic). I
find this workflow faster and a lot more integrated as a whole with
all apps launched from common "file manager", as shell is normally at
root of a project, saves me nagivating in different apps because they
lack "recent files" or they have it but does not know about a given
file.

GSR