[Bf-committers] New WeightVGroup Modifier

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 25 13:42:47 CET 2011

Hi tobias

I developed this modifier as the first part of a more complex project:
to have a subsurf modifier with different levels of subdivisions for
each face (and hence, to control the level of subdivisions with a vertex
group).

The problem is, if you want to fly uppon a landscape in Blender, you
have two choices:
  * Have a detailed terrain with tenth of millions of vertices (and
Blender is not so good whith such heavy meshes…), or…
  * Have a coarse mesh, just fine for far away parts, but awfull when
comming nearer of the camera!

So, my idea was to automatically adapt the subdivision of the terrain
mesh based on the distance of the vertices from the camera object. You
then add a displace modifier, and you have dinamically LOD variations!

But this not of course the only way to use the WeighVGroup modifier – in
the doc, I put a small example of using it to control a Wave one
(http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mont29/WeightVGroup/Man#Example). It
might be usefull with all vgroup-using modifiers (Armature, Mask, etc.).

Also, I think I’ll try to add other modes of weighting (e.g. use a
texture to set the weights, etc.). But right now, I’m working on the
adaptive subsurf (I called it WeightedSubsurf ;) ), i.e. the other part
of the original project.

Bastien