[Bf-committers] Normalization of Vertexgroups?

Xavier Thomas xavier.thomas.1980 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 15:44:57 CET 2011

There is also the "auto normalise" vertex group in weight paint mode
(in the Tool side pane-> Brush tab)
My guess and whatt would seems normal is that it only change the
weights value but in such a  way that weights keep the same proportion
compared to the sum of all weight (which would be one after
normalisation).

So if a vertex is part of 2 vertex group and have a weight of 0.5 for
the 1rst group and 1.0 for the second. After normalisation the weights
will be:

0.5/(0.5+1.0) = 0.3333 for the first group

1.0/(0.5+1.0) = 0.666 for the second

After the weight have been normalised, if you paint weight using the
"auto normalize" option, than it is like running "normalize vertex
groups" after each stroke. So if you paint to increase the weight of
the 1rst group than the weight of the second group will diminue.

I hope this was understandable.

Xavier