[Bf-committers] MinGW debug builds do not run

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sun Feb 20 12:54:59 CET 2011

On 20.02.2011 04:24, Campbell Barton wrote:

> Whats supported isn't set in stone, its more a case of which
> configurations are tested&  known to work.

OK, thanks. And what is mostly used for the Windows releases?

> this works for me.
> - windows xp
> - mingw-gcc4.5.2, (from mingw's main site)
> - cmake 2.8 (build type set to Release or RelWithDebInfo)
> - blender (tested r34959)

I had a little bit outdated checkout with 4.4, W7-64Bit, and
problems with release and debug.

> A crash on startup may be a real bug rather then lack of support, you
> could run with gdb and see why its crashing.
> If you are unable to figure out how to fix you could file a bug and
> include a backtace.

I assume not really a error in blender code, it's the mixture of
pre-compiled binaries, compiler used for blender, OS, and runtime
libraries.

Best is to build everyting with the same compiler.

> Another way to help find the cause of the crash is to disable all
> WITH_* options in cmake configuration, WITH_OPENAL, WITH_IMAGE_OPENEXR
> ... etc.
>
> If this works you could try again with usable settings (so you get an
> interface),
> all off except WITH_PYTHON WITH_INSTALL and WITH_PYTHON_INSTALL.

I already had the idea to try it without python ;)

> After that its trial and error to see which library causes the crash,
> the offending lib could be disabled by default with mingw until its
> fixed properly.
>
> One other thing, you were getting the error 'PyModule_Create2'
> interestingly I got this error too on Linux when trying to load a
> library built with a debug python but finding a release library.

I could link against the lib/windows version with attached patch.