[Bf-committers] Soft Limits for Constraints?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 20:02:20 CET 2011

Currently we have some limiting constraints. All have hard limits. That
means there will be no interaction until the limit has been reached. But
as soon the limit is reached it will have full impact.

For organic models it results in not fluid motion. As this constraints
are in comparison to others very simple (especially 'limit distance' and
'floor'), wouldn't it a great option to give them a second distance or
offset that the constraint already starts working if the secondary
distance is reached? Slowly (linear/cubic) getting more influence until
the original limit will take full effect. The result would be a smooth
blending between unconstrained and fully constrained state.

My typical ball example: The ball is the constraint object/bone, while
the wall is the limit. Throwing the ball "through" the wall would softly
start to stop him, before he reaches the surface of the wall. As he hits
the wall, he will be fully constrained as usual. Without a secondary
limit the ball would fly at full speed until it hits and stop immediately.

Is someone willing to implement this (optional) feature for this kind of
constraints? Or does it not make sense since it could be done in a other
way?

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte