[Bf-committers] Nouveau and Blender - success?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 02:06:52 CET 2011

In short, yes it does work but I can't speak for more advanced
features like GLSL shaders or VBO's.

I ran the Nouveau drivers for a while to fix a reported bug:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&group_id=9&aid=24339&atid=498
>From my experience the main problem is copying the depth buffer from
the 3d view into memory is very slow compared to closed source nvidia
drivers.

Since nouveau are not the only drivers that are slow at this and
blender was being very in-efficient, copying entire view when only a
few pixels were needed, I made some updates to auto-depth and particle
brush modes so they should not be so slow.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Max B <skinkworks42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if this has been asked before, but has Blender been tested
> under the Nouveau driver? If so, what are the results? For those who are not
> familiar, the Nouveau driver is a FOSS driver for Nvidia graphics cards.
> They do not officially support 3D, but basic OpenGL is supported on most
> modern graphics cards, so I think Blender would work.

- Campbell