[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [34720] trunk/blender: Texture context selector for texture panel:

Janne Karhu jhkarh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:39:05 CET 2011

Carsten: Yes I understand the frustration of a constantly changing ui very
well, but bringing back the old behavior was what I was after too. I'll
change it tomorrow so that switching from a possible texture owner panel
to the texture panel works like before. The user preference to keep the
context selector "pinned" can be added at a later time if it's needed.

Daniel: This has been an age old problem in Blender and I think it will
need some more thought before implementing anything. I don't think editing
of unlinked data has ever been possible in Blender, so I'm not sure if
direct access to unlinked stuff is really the best option. However I don't
really see any obstacles to for example adding more contexts to the
selector for modifier/node/etc. textures (I'm nearly done with particle
textures for example and this will be added to the selector soon).

janne

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 23:08:33 +0200, Carsten Wartmann <cw at blenderbuch.de>
wrote:

> Am 08.02.2011 21:22, schrieb Janne Karhu:
>> Carsten: The placement of the actual context menu is still under
>> debate. I
>> originally had the menu in the old location of the "brush" button, but

>> I also think both behaviors (context by selecting "parent" first vs.
>> explicit selection via the new selector) are useful, so this could
>> perhaps
>> become a user preference.
>
> I apreciate your effort and works very much, but please keep in mind
> that we are in a late beta phase please don't change much now, the
> autors of already written or "just before relase" books will be very
> thankfull.
>
> Development is a key to blenders success but also to have good
> documentation which a (professinal) user can rely on. In this context is
> is I think more acceptable to have a "not optimally" working but
> documented solution rather than a well working which is no where
> described or even worse which is not working like described. I.e. I
> wrote at several places: "switch directly from the world context to the
> texture context, add a texture..." which will now NOT work anymore, but
> add a material texture.
>
> Hope you get my point.
>
> Carsten