[Bf-committers] Calling operators when drawing a panel

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 08:35:02 CET 2011

Hi Lionel, we had this discussion a while ago. for my rationale on why
writes are disabled on draw see:
http://markmail.org/message/6sg2clhu3ouap2oc

I was aware this change might not be practicle in some use cases when
making it, so one line comment can enable write access again if this
is not workable but Im still not convinced that this should be changed
back.
You were able to work around it by calling an operator but this still
has the same problems as changing the value directly, and if calling
operators is to be allowed in a draw function we can better just
remove the limitation altogether (operators may register themselves or
have an undo push which would be annoying).

In your case I'd suggest to define your own panels which alert the
user when unsupported settings are selected. (set the red-alert on the
value or add a text label).
You could also have an operator which enforces octane compatible
settings accessed from a button in the render panel.

This is not ideal but even if you enforce the settings within the draw
function there is nothing stopping someone from loading a blend file
and pressing render immediately, so relying on the panel to be drawn
on each material is weak too.

You have a valid point that we need python integration:
IMHO scripts should be able to handle notifiers and ability to define
update functions for python defined properties.

Python defined update functions I can do but handling notifiers should
be discussed with Ton first since it may relate to python handling
events which is a bigger project,
will ask about it before the meeting tonight.

- Campbell

>>> Lionel

- Campbell