[Bf-committers] Proposal to store Initial value in Custom ID Properties

malefico at licuadorastudio.com malefico at licuadorastudio.com
Sat Feb 5 18:27:49 CET 2011

Hi,

I've been using Custom ID Properties (I think that's the right name)
assigned to certain bones with my rigs which works really nice in pose
mode.

During animation I found however that it slows me down because I cannot
"reset" all those sliders as quick as I do ALT+S/R/G but instead I have to
select each bone that has properties, and set those sliders to it's
default value.

So I thought I could write an operator to reset all those for me and speed
my workflow up a bit.

However when investigating how to do this (return all properties to their
INITIAL value) I figured out this information is not stored. The structure
has MIN, MAX, SOFT_MIN, SOFT_MAX, and TIP, but nothing abut the initial
value the property had.

You might think that this is silly, all I should do is set them to 0.0,
however, not all properties have that as initial value, think of Chain
Length in an IK Solver, or Subdivision level to give a couple examples.

I could use my own python defined custom properties (storing the initial
value and then create an operator to clear that out everytime I need), but
it's definitely convenient to use the GUI for this purpose saving the need
of run any script prior to use a rig.

So I humbly propose adding a field in the structure of Custom ID
Properties, so the initial value could be store for future reference.

I appreciate any feedback on this :)

Best regards

malefico.