[Bf-committers] Proposal: to remove the TexFace options

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 21:31:03 CET 2011

... replies on text ...

Erwin,
> Is there a way to automatically convert older files using TexFace, instead
of requiring manual updates?
I originally thought that Blender had a limit of materials per object. It
doesn't so as Brecht pointed out backward compatible is possible. The
implementation itself scary me a bit though:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Dfelinto/TexFace#Backward_Compatibility_Issue.2FSolution

For render files that shouldn't matter much (although I've seen some render
files with texface options set on it). For games you will have plenty of new
materials on your scene. At least it will work. One option is to have a
dialog or ui checkbox to "convert texface into multiple materials" when
do that. Or of course simply drop that . . .

Carsten,
>Hmm. I am not sure if it used to work face-like in the past. However,
>currently it works in the 3D View AND at render time (F12). See this
>.blend (2.49 but works in 2.5x also). I just made a Cube with one Face
>Vertex Paint and the others set to "ObCol", makin a smal Col-Ipo and
>playing it in BGE. - http://www.pasteall.org/blend/5079
> So why not fix it in the GE?

Take your example file. I toggled the ObCol in all the faces of the cube and
nothing changes in the BGE nor in render. So although they behave
differently they do it regardless of the ObColor info in TexFace. To be fair
there is one thing that change: the 3dview.
So it seems to me that what you are reporting is different. BGE seems
unaware of the ObColor toggle in the material panel. If it's a bug it is to
be fixed, but again it shouldn't affect this proposal directly. Actually
before I noticed that ObColor in TexFace wasn't being used I thought in
using the option in the material panel.

Thoughts?
Dalai