[Bf-committers] Proposal: to remove the TexFace options

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Feb 4 14:21:34 CET 2011

Hi Dalai,

Good proposal. Backwards compatibility is possible if you
automatically add/modify materials, though the conversion code would
get messy.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Carsten Wartmann <cw at blenderbuch.de> wrote:
>>> So I think it have to be possible
>>> to show all the textures in GLSL when following is meet:
>>> - Object has a Material,
>>> - "Face Textures" in Options-Panel is ON
>> Agree with that here. Actually I consider this more to be a bug than a
>> design. Brecht would know better. Have you consider adding this to the
>> tracker? Personally I would love if GLSL could work without materials using
>> TexFace, but maybe that's me being lazy to add "dumb" materials.
>
> No, did not track it so far. Maybe Brecht can say something about it,
> not that it is a wanted feature and my bug gets closed fast ;-)

I'm not against this, just didn't get to implementing it.

However, there's of course a deeper problem here, that we even have
these parallel material systems. We should have an easy way to use
multiple images in the same material, using an "image layer" as
already referred to in the proposal. And the texture/uv coordinates
that you see/edit in the viewport should somehow be linked to the
active texture in the material. But anyway, image textures are an
issue separate from this proposal.

Brecht.