[Bf-committers] Proposal: to remove the TexFace options

Carsten Wartmann cw at blenderbuch.de
Fri Feb 4 01:42:01 CET 2011

Am 03.02.2011 21:56, schrieb Dalai Felinto:
> Dear developers and users,
>
> " Tex Face is part of Blender original design 15 years ago. The
> functionality it brought to the Blender Game Engine is still useful
> nowadays. However its design hasn't changed and it lacks integration with
> other parts of Blender. This proposal is centered on moving the working
> functionalities as sub-options for the Material and remove deprecated ones."
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Dfelinto/TexFace

Hi,

for the most I can overlook now (its late here) I am fine with it.

There are two points where I have some worries (maybe because I need to
think a bit more):

- ObColor: I think I used it mayn times for changing the Mesh color with
the ObCol Ipo, even making things transparent worked this way. However,
having the Texture Face Mode become more and more obsolete it is maybe
not of much use nowadays? I think in Multitexture (not sure here) and
GLSL it is possible to animate the color directly without ObCol.

- Maybe it is a bit more work to need materials for all faces which need
a different "Face Mode", since now it is easy, just select one or more
faces, set Face Mode and then Copy Mode.

There is also another thing I always hated for GLSL Materials: It is
much more complicated to have a Mesh with multiple textures than with
Texture Face. In UV Image Editor you map several textures to several
faces, in Multitexture or Texture Face they are shown in the BGE. In
GLSL you need to assign several Materials to the several faces to get
the same result as in the other modes. So I think it have to be possible
to show all the textures in GLSL when following is meet:

- Object has a Material,
- "Face Textures" in Options-Panel is ON

That would be a great help.

Cheers,
Carsten

--
Carsten Wartmann: Autor - Dozent - 3D - Grafik
Homepage:         http://blenderbuch.de/