[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [34535] trunk/blender/source/blender: More logical ordering of Empty draw types.

Tony Mullen tony.mullen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 03:06:34 CET 2011

My $0.02:

I'm with ZanQdo here. And I know very well how a last minute default
change can screw up documentation. Large portions of my second book
were seriously borked by the change to add objects in Object mode
rather than Edit mode, which was a decision made after the first or
second test build of the version had already been released. I got a
lot of 1 star reviews on amazon over that! :(.

For situations like that, at the stage of debug builds, I think
changes should be as strictly as possible limited to debugging, and
changes that affect workflow at that late stage should be seriously
(re)considered and communicated.

But we're not at that stage now, we're at beta, and at beta all kinds
of things can change. And if the changes don't affect workflow (like
the default draw of Empties) then I don't see much of an issue.
Redoing screenshots isn't even necessary. Unless the book has already
gone to press then one line of text can explain the different draw
type. And if the book has gone to press, well, that's what happens
when you write about beta software.

Documenters (and learners) just need to live with that. A book isn't
obsolete just because an icon looks different or an empty is drawn
differently, and anybody who thinks it is should probably stay away
from Blender books.