[Bf-committers] Depsgraph proposal

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Sat Dec 24 21:17:29 CET 2011

> I realise it's probably a very difficult problem to solve internally, but I> wonder if it's really worthwhile to be spending the resources on a redesign> here if this issue isn't seriously addressed.

There are other purposes as well, such as allowing multiple states
(e.g. for different animation on multiple instances of a single linked
character).

But yes, I was under the impression that a proper fine-granularity
depgraph was part of the intent as well.  Then again, we never got Ipo
bags from the animation system re-write, which I thought was one of
the main intents of that.  I'm coming to accept that we only get 50%
of what we want with these re-writes, because we always seem to run
against limitations in other parts of Blender's architecture.

However, I agree with you.  If we want to really be future-proof
(inasmuch as anything is), we should do this as a fine granularity
depgraph.  It's just a matter of whether that is feasible or not...

Ton, can you elaborate on the technical hurdles involved in doing a
depgraph with a finer granularity than ID blocks?  Or perhaps point
someone else to this thread who can elaborate?

--Nathan