[Bf-committers] Depsgraph proposal

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Fri Dec 23 10:58:16 CET 2011

> Nathan perhaps we could have an option to switch from 'auto cycle> detect' to manual number of cycle selection?

If we decide to go the "detect + eval x times" route, perhaps that
would be good.

But I'm questioning whether going that route is a good idea in the
first place.  So let's tackle that first.

To reiterate (perhaps more succinctly):

1. This is not a real solution to the granularity issue, per se.  The
proposed depgraph system still lacks fine granularity, and this is an
ad-hoc work-around for some of the implications of that.  And maybe
that's totally fine!  But let's not pretend that this is a real
fine-grained depgraph solution, please?

2. How will Blender distinguish between true cycles (e.g. that should
be reported to the user) vs false "cycles" that are resolved with this
ad-hoc system?

3. Performance issues?  Integration with simulation, multi-threading, etc.?

Tom, your suggestion also brings up the whole "Just Works(tm)"
question.  How much are we going to expect the user to understand this
ad-hoc situation and intervene, vs how much will it "Just Work(tm)"?

--Nathan