[Bf-committers] Color space and alpha issues

James Ruan ruanbeihong at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 07:41:46 CET 2011

2011/12/21 gespertino at gmail.com <gespertino at gmail.com>:
> [...]
I'm sorry that I failed to follow your opinion. I don't understand why
double premultiply will happen if each internal buffer's tag is
correctly set to what its content should be. If it goes wrong, it must
be something that breaks the rule. Certainly, every image entering the
composite system must indicates its format and outputs a straight
alpha( actually recommended) to the system.

And actually I don't see any problem to introducing emitting in
partially transparent image with the format straight alpha.
As a blender user, if followed by your 'teaching not hiding' doctrine,
I would be the first student to understand the complexity of the
problem.

So let me show my understanding of this problem. Correct me at any
misunderstanding.
When we talk about alpha format, it has two meaning:
One for file format RGBA is stored as four bytes integer ranging from 0 to 255;
Another is for internal representation which is stored as four * four
bytes floats ranging almost very small to very big.
The conversion between that two is followed by 0.0 to 1.0 mapping to 0 to 255.
So storing an luminescent partially transparent color image to an
integer format must use premultiplied alpha format because RGB bigger
than 1.0 means something and must be remapped to the range of 0 to 255
multiplied with alpha as a coefficient, so reverse that can get RGB
bigger than 1.0 just as it is produced. That's an restriction of
integer file format not the straight alpha itself.
Why blur/defocus and alpha over needs premulitplied format? Can't it
be represented in straight float without any info lose? I don't
understand the restriction here.
Is it possible to care about format only at FILE IO part but maintain
uniform in the internal representation?

>> Or we just use the unassociated alpha everywhere since it preserves
>> most info and do conversions every time it is needed.
>> After all, it should be easy, simple and correct for the users. They
>> should not care about in which format their image is stored.
>
> As Francesco said, premul/postdivide is for compositors what topology
> is for modelers. Artists should care about it because it's essential
> to get good results.
> If that isn't important, I don't see why the compositor should be
> improved. Unexperienced compositors are already used to compensate
> alpha fsckups with dilate/erode nodes, masks, curves and all kinds of
> hacks to get visually acceptable results avoiding alpha problems.

James Ruan